This vegetarian mac and cheese is made with wholesome elements like potatoes, carrots and cashews, and it is proper now The dairy model is as scrumptious as you already know and love.
My youngsters love this dairy-free mac and cheese, and actually, so do I, particularly with a giant drizzle of Valentina scorching sauce. (We affectionately name this “Mac and Cheese with Broccoli.”) Usually, it is not a good suggestion to place potatoes in a blender as a result of it pulverizes the starch molecules they usually can grow to be mushy. Nonetheless, on this case, we will do precisely that to duplicate the pulpy, stretchy texture of melted cheese. There isn’t any want to cut the garlic as a result of it is all going within the blender; Onions can solely be roughly chopped for a similar cause. It is little kindnesses like this that make some recipes so doable, proper?
Mac and Cheese with Broccoli
Serves 4 to six
- 1 pound (454 g) quick pasta (we like elbows or shells)
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and minimize into -inch (2 cm) cubes
- 1 giant carrot, cleaned and minimize into 2-inch (2 cm) rounds
- cup (125 ml) chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- cup (80 ml) cashews
- 1½ cups (375 mL) water
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) additional virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) white or rice vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- Boil water in a pot and cook dinner pasta in line with bundle instructions. Add broccoli within the final 5 minutes of cooking. Drain and return to pot.
- In the meantime, in a medium saucepan, mix potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, cashews and water to make a sauce. Carry to a boil and cook dinner, lined, for 12 minutes, or till greens are very comfortable. Put the cooked greens in a blender with the oil, vinegar and salt, together with the cooking water. Mix till very easy.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and broccoli and blend nicely.
- Refrigerate any leftovers in an hermetic container for as much as 3 days. Warmth a saucepan with 1 to 2 Tbsp (15 to 30 mL) water over medium warmth to easy the sauce.
Variation with Peas: As a substitute of utilizing broccoli, add 1 cup (250 mL) of frozen peas to the pasta over the past 5 minutes of cooking.
excerpt from Vegetarian Household Cookbook, by Anna Pippus. Copyright © 2021, Anna Pippus. Pictures © 2021, Anna Pippus. Revealed by Urge for food by Random Home®, a division of Penguin Random Home Canada Restricted. Reproduced by association with the writer. All rights reserved.
Now that you know the way to make vegetarian mac and cheese, learn to make vegan sloppy joe.